Poached Halibut with Herbed Vinaigrette
Gently simmering mild fish in a simple, fragrant broth—known in French cooking as a court-bouillon—is a wonderful way to impart flavor. Be careful not to overcrowd or overcook the fish, as either will cause it to fall apart.
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 1 medium carrot, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled, halved
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
Halibut & Vinaigrette
- 4 6-ounce halibut steaks, 1 inch thick, skinned
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- To prepare broth: Combine all broth ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain into a large deep skillet, discarding solids.
- To poach halibut & make vinaigrette: Bring broth just to a simmer. Season halibut with salt and pepper on both sides. Add halibut to broth and poach, uncovered, until opaque in the center, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spoon 2 tablespoons of the simmering broth into a small bowl. Add lemon juice, mustard and sour cream. Gradually whisk in oil. Add shallot and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove halibut from poaching liquid and divide among 4 warmed plates. Stir parsley, tarragon, chives and chopped dill into the vinaigrette and spoon over the fish. Garnish with dill sprigs. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the broth (Step 1) for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 4 months.
Per serving: 268 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 0 g fiber; 258 mg sodium; 834 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (42% daily value), Magnesium (37% dv).
Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique