Poached Halibut with Herbed Vinaigrette
Gently simmering mild fish in a simple, fragrant broth—known in French cooking as a court-bouillon—is a wonderful way to impart flavor. Be careful not to overcrowd or overcook the fish, as either will cause it to fall apart.
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 1 medium carrot, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled, halved
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
Halibut & Vinaigrette
- 4 6-ounce halibut steaks, 1 inch thick, skinned
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- To prepare broth: Combine all broth ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain into a large deep skillet, discarding solids.
- To poach halibut & make vinaigrette: Bring broth just to a simmer. Season halibut with salt and pepper on both sides. Add halibut to broth and poach, uncovered, until opaque in the center, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spoon 2 tablespoons of the simmering broth into a small bowl. Add lemon juice, mustard and sour cream. Gradually whisk in oil. Add shallot and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove halibut from poaching liquid and divide among 4 warmed plates. Stir parsley, tarragon, chives and chopped dill into the vinaigrette and spoon over the fish. Garnish with dill sprigs. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the broth (Step 1) for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 4 months.
Per serving: 268 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 0 g fiber; 258 mg sodium; 834 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (42% daily value), Magnesium (37% dv).
Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique