From EatingWell: April/May 2006
There are lots of ways to poach an egg. We tried 'em all. This was the winning method.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- Break each egg into a small bowl. Fill a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add vinegar. Reduce to a gentle simmer: the water should be steaming and small bubbles should come up from the bottom of the pan.
- Submerging the lip of each bowl into the simmering water, gently add the eggs, one at a time.
- Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a clean dish towel to drain for a minute.
Tips & Notes
- The poaching pot is much easier to clean if it's still warm from cooking.
- Food Safety Note: If salmonella is a concern in your area, be sure to cook your eggs until hard set.
Per serving: 74 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 211 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2006