From EatingWell: April/May 2006
There are lots of ways to poach an egg. We tried 'em all. This was the winning method.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- Break each egg into a small bowl. Fill a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add vinegar. Reduce to a gentle simmer: the water should be steaming and small bubbles should come up from the bottom of the pan.
- Submerging the lip of each bowl into the simmering water, gently add the eggs, one at a time.
- Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a clean dish towel to drain for a minute.
Tips & Notes
- The poaching pot is much easier to clean if it's still warm from cooking.
- Food Safety Note: If salmonella is a concern in your area, be sure to cook your eggs until hard set.
Per serving: 74 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 211 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2006