From EatingWell: April/May 2006
There are lots of ways to poach an egg. We tried 'em all. This was the winning method.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- Break each egg into a small bowl. Fill a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add vinegar. Reduce to a gentle simmer: the water should be steaming and small bubbles should come up from the bottom of the pan.
- Submerging the lip of each bowl into the simmering water, gently add the eggs, one at a time.
- Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a clean dish towel to drain for a minute.
Tips & Notes
- The poaching pot is much easier to clean if it's still warm from cooking.
- Food Safety Note: If salmonella is a concern in your area, be sure to cook your eggs until hard set.
Per serving: 74 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 211 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2006