From EatingWell: April/May 2006
There are lots of ways to poach an egg. We tried 'em all. This was the winning method.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- Break each egg into a small bowl. Fill a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add vinegar. Reduce to a gentle simmer: the water should be steaming and small bubbles should come up from the bottom of the pan.
- Submerging the lip of each bowl into the simmering water, gently add the eggs, one at a time.
- Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a clean dish towel to drain for a minute.
Tips & Notes
- The poaching pot is much easier to clean if it's still warm from cooking.
- Food Safety Note: If salmonella is a concern in your area, be sure to cook your eggs until hard set.
Per serving: 74 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 211 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2006