Poached Cod & Green Beans with Pesto
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Using just one skillet, this easy fish recipe cooks cod right on top of fresh green beans and uses the same pan to make a flavorful sauce. The result is perfectly flaky fish, tender-crisp vegetables, a savory pan sauce and very little cleanup.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound green and/or yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1 1/4 pounds cod (see Tip), cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beans and shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot starts to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle both sides of cod with salt and pepper. Spread the beans into a flat layer in the pan and gently place the cod on top. Increase heat to high, add broth, cover and cook until the fish is just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the cod and beans to a large serving plate or divide among 4 dinner plates; cover to keep warm. Cook the broth over high heat, uncovered, until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pesto. Pour the sauce over the fish and beans and serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Wild-caught U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic are all sustainable choices. Visit seafoodwatch.org for more information.
Per serving: 264 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 26 g protein; 4 g fiber; 371 mg sodium; 747 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (41% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Vitamin A (26% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Calcium (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- July/August 2014