Poached Cod & Green Beans with Pesto
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Using just one skillet, this easy fish recipe cooks cod right on top of fresh green beans and uses the same pan to make a flavorful sauce. The result is perfectly flaky fish, tender-crisp vegetables, a savory pan sauce and very little cleanup.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound green and/or yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1 1/4 pounds cod (see Tip), cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beans and shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot starts to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle both sides of cod with salt and pepper. Spread the beans into a flat layer in the pan and gently place the cod on top. Increase heat to high, add broth, cover and cook until the fish is just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the cod and beans to a large serving plate or divide among 4 dinner plates; cover to keep warm. Cook the broth over high heat, uncovered, until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pesto. Pour the sauce over the fish and beans and serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Wild-caught U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland and the northeast Arctic are all sustainable choices. Visit seafoodwatch.org for more information.
Per serving: 264 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 26 g protein; 4 g fiber; 371 mg sodium; 747 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (41% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Vitamin A (26% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Calcium (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2014