A fruit crisp offers the luscious flavor of a fresh fruit pie without the fuss of making a crust. Celebrate late summer with plums in this rich-tasting crisp. The nut-studded topping works great with other fruit combinations too.
- 2 pounds plums, pitted and sliced (6 cups)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish (or similar 1 1/2- to 2-quart dish) with cooking spray.
- To prepare filling, combine plums, granulated sugar, orange zest and juice in a large bowl; toss to coat. Place the filling in the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make topping. Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl with a fork. Add butter and blend with a pastry blender or your fingertips. Add oil and stir to coat. Add orange juice concentrate and blend with your fingertips until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- After 20 minutes, stir the fruit filling and sprinkle the topping evenly over it. Sprinkle with almonds (or walnuts). Bake, uncovered, until the fruit is bubbly and tender and the topping is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 232 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 22 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 23 mg sodium; 301 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit