Plum Tomato Tart
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
The tangy mustard is a pleasing accent to the sweet tomatoes in this easy-to-prepare tart.
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, (14x18 inches)
- 5 teaspoons fine dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, (about 8), cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Set oven rack on the upper level; preheat to 400°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Whisk together egg white and 2 tablespoons oil in a small bowl.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo on the prepared baking sheet, and with a pastry brush, lightly coat the surface with the egg-white mixture. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs. Repeat this step, layering 4 more sheets of phyllo on top. Lay the sixth sheet of phyllo on top and brush with the egg-white mixture. To form an edge to the tart, carefully roll over the edges toward the center, using the blade of a knife to help you get started. Spread mustard over the surface of the dough with a rubber spatula and sprinkle with cheese. Arrange tomato slices on top in 5 rows of 8 slices each.
- Bake until the pastry is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, parsley, garlic and thyme in a small bowl. Dab some of the herb mixture onto each tomato slice, using your fingers or a fork. Cut into 12 pieces and serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Wrap and freeze for up to 2 months. Do not thaw before continuing.
Per serving: 89 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 188 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1993