Plum Tomato Tart
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
The tangy mustard is a pleasing accent to the sweet tomatoes in this easy-to-prepare tart.
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, (14x18 inches)
- 5 teaspoons fine dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, (about 8), cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Set oven rack on the upper level; preheat to 400°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Whisk together egg white and 2 tablespoons oil in a small bowl.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo on the prepared baking sheet, and with a pastry brush, lightly coat the surface with the egg-white mixture. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs. Repeat this step, layering 4 more sheets of phyllo on top. Lay the sixth sheet of phyllo on top and brush with the egg-white mixture. To form an edge to the tart, carefully roll over the edges toward the center, using the blade of a knife to help you get started. Spread mustard over the surface of the dough with a rubber spatula and sprinkle with cheese. Arrange tomato slices on top in 5 rows of 8 slices each.
- Bake until the pastry is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, parsley, garlic and thyme in a small bowl. Dab some of the herb mixture onto each tomato slice, using your fingers or a fork. Cut into 12 pieces and serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Wrap and freeze for up to 2 months. Do not thaw before continuing.
Per serving: 89 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 188 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1993