Plum Tomato Tart
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
The tangy mustard is a pleasing accent to the sweet tomatoes in this easy-to-prepare tart.
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, (14x18 inches)
- 5 teaspoons fine dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, (about 8), cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Set oven rack on the upper level; preheat to 400°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Whisk together egg white and 2 tablespoons oil in a small bowl.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo on the prepared baking sheet, and with a pastry brush, lightly coat the surface with the egg-white mixture. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs. Repeat this step, layering 4 more sheets of phyllo on top. Lay the sixth sheet of phyllo on top and brush with the egg-white mixture. To form an edge to the tart, carefully roll over the edges toward the center, using the blade of a knife to help you get started. Spread mustard over the surface of the dough with a rubber spatula and sprinkle with cheese. Arrange tomato slices on top in 5 rows of 8 slices each.
- Bake until the pastry is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, parsley, garlic and thyme in a small bowl. Dab some of the herb mixture onto each tomato slice, using your fingers or a fork. Cut into 12 pieces and serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Wrap and freeze for up to 2 months. Do not thaw before continuing.
Per serving: 89 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 188 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1993