Plum Tomato Tart
From EatingWell: May/June 1993
The tangy mustard is a pleasing accent to the sweet tomatoes in this easy-to-prepare tart.
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, (14x18 inches)
- 5 teaspoons fine dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, (about 8), cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Set oven rack on the upper level; preheat to 400°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Whisk together egg white and 2 tablespoons oil in a small bowl.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo on the prepared baking sheet, and with a pastry brush, lightly coat the surface with the egg-white mixture. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs. Repeat this step, layering 4 more sheets of phyllo on top. Lay the sixth sheet of phyllo on top and brush with the egg-white mixture. To form an edge to the tart, carefully roll over the edges toward the center, using the blade of a knife to help you get started. Spread mustard over the surface of the dough with a rubber spatula and sprinkle with cheese. Arrange tomato slices on top in 5 rows of 8 slices each.
- Bake until the pastry is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, parsley, garlic and thyme in a small bowl. Dab some of the herb mixture onto each tomato slice, using your fingers or a fork. Cut into 12 pieces and serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Wrap and freeze for up to 2 months. Do not thaw before continuing.
Per serving: 89 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 188 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1993