Fresh and flavorful plum ketchup makes a delicious sandwich spread, a sauce for grilled beef, pork or chicken, or an excellent way to add excitement to turkey burgers.
- 1 1/2 pounds red or black plums, (5-6 medium), pitted and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 2-inch cinnamon stick
- Combine plums, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar, water, salt, ginger, allspice, pepper, cayenne and cinnamon stick in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the plums have cooked down to a puree, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Discard the cinnamon stick. Transfer to a bowl or storage container.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per tablespoon: 19 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 33 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique