Fresh and flavorful plum ketchup makes a delicious sandwich spread, a sauce for grilled beef, pork or chicken, or an excellent way to add excitement to turkey burgers.
- 1 1/2 pounds red or black plums, (5-6 medium), pitted and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 2-inch cinnamon stick
- Combine plums, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar, water, salt, ginger, allspice, pepper, cayenne and cinnamon stick in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the plums have cooked down to a puree, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Discard the cinnamon stick. Transfer to a bowl or storage container.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per tablespoon: 19 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 33 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique