Fresh and flavorful plum ketchup makes a delicious sandwich spread, a sauce for grilled beef, pork or chicken, or an excellent way to add excitement to turkey burgers.
- 1 1/2 pounds red or black plums, (5-6 medium), pitted and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 2-inch cinnamon stick
- Combine plums, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar, water, salt, ginger, allspice, pepper, cayenne and cinnamon stick in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the plums have cooked down to a puree, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Discard the cinnamon stick. Transfer to a bowl or storage container.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per tablespoon: 19 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 33 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique