From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
A fool is a traditional British dessert of stewed fruit swirled with whipped cream. Here, low-fat yogurt replaces some of the whipped cream. Since plums vary considerably in sweetness, start with the lower amount of sugar or sweetener and add more after tasting, if desired.
- 1 pound plums, pitted and sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/4-1/2 cup sugar, or Splenda Granular
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- Set aside a few plum slices for garnish. Combine the remaining plum slices, 1/4 cup sugar (or Splenda), ginger and cinnamon in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring, over medium heat. Cook until the mixture has softened into a chunky puree, 15 to 20 minutes. Taste and add more sugar (or Splenda), if desired. Transfer to a bowl and chill until cool, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, set a fine-mesh stainless-steel sieve over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let drain in the refrigerator until reduced to 1 cup, about 1 hour.
- Whip cream to soft peaks in a chilled bowl. Gently fold in the drained yogurt with a rubber spatula. Fold this mixture into the fruit puree, leaving distinct swirls. Spoon into 6 dessert dishes and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Garnish with the reserved plum slices before serving.
Per serving: 156 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 45 mg sodium; 259 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (12% daily value), Vitamin C (12% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 11/2 fruit, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per serving with Splenda: 1 Carbohydrate Serving, 128 calories, 18 g carbohydrate.
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)