A lightly spiced cake with a dramatic topping of glistening plums—it's perfect for a September birthday.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds purple plums, (about 8 medium plums)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch springform pan with foil, smoothing out the wrinkles. Coat the foil with cooking spray. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar in the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Halve plums lengthwise and remove the pits. Cut each half lengthwise into thin slices. Arrange circular rows of overlapping slices in the prepared pan; place any remaining slices in an even layer on top.
- Stir together cake flour and whole-wheat flour, the remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together yogurt, oil, egg, egg white and vanilla in another bowl until well combined. Stir the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until blended.
- Gently spoon the batter onto the plums, smoothing the top. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the outer ring of the springform pan, fold back the foil, and invert the cake onto a cake plate. Remove the pan bottom and foil.
- Whisk jelly in a small saucepan over low heat until melted. Brush over the top of the warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9-inch springform pan
Per serving: 331 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 284 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique