A lightly spiced cake with a dramatic topping of glistening plums—it's perfect for a September birthday.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds purple plums, (about 8 medium plums)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch springform pan with foil, smoothing out the wrinkles. Coat the foil with cooking spray. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar in the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Halve plums lengthwise and remove the pits. Cut each half lengthwise into thin slices. Arrange circular rows of overlapping slices in the prepared pan; place any remaining slices in an even layer on top.
- Stir together cake flour and whole-wheat flour, the remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together yogurt, oil, egg, egg white and vanilla in another bowl until well combined. Stir the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until blended.
- Gently spoon the batter onto the plums, smoothing the top. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the outer ring of the springform pan, fold back the foil, and invert the cake onto a cake plate. Remove the pan bottom and foil.
- Whisk jelly in a small saucepan over low heat until melted. Brush over the top of the warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9-inch springform pan
Per serving: 331 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 284 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique