A lightly spiced cake with a dramatic topping of glistening plums—it's perfect for a September birthday.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds purple plums, (about 8 medium plums)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch springform pan with foil, smoothing out the wrinkles. Coat the foil with cooking spray. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar in the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Halve plums lengthwise and remove the pits. Cut each half lengthwise into thin slices. Arrange circular rows of overlapping slices in the prepared pan; place any remaining slices in an even layer on top.
- Stir together cake flour and whole-wheat flour, the remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together yogurt, oil, egg, egg white and vanilla in another bowl until well combined. Stir the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until blended.
- Gently spoon the batter onto the plums, smoothing the top. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the outer ring of the springform pan, fold back the foil, and invert the cake onto a cake plate. Remove the pan bottom and foil.
- Whisk jelly in a small saucepan over low heat until melted. Brush over the top of the warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9-inch springform pan
Per serving: 331 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 284 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique