A lightly spiced cake with a dramatic topping of glistening plums—it's perfect for a September birthday.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds purple plums, (about 8 medium plums)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch springform pan with foil, smoothing out the wrinkles. Coat the foil with cooking spray. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar in the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Halve plums lengthwise and remove the pits. Cut each half lengthwise into thin slices. Arrange circular rows of overlapping slices in the prepared pan; place any remaining slices in an even layer on top.
- Stir together cake flour and whole-wheat flour, the remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together yogurt, oil, egg, egg white and vanilla in another bowl until well combined. Stir the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until blended.
- Gently spoon the batter onto the plums, smoothing the top. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the outer ring of the springform pan, fold back the foil, and invert the cake onto a cake plate. Remove the pan bottom and foil.
- Whisk jelly in a small saucepan over low heat until melted. Brush over the top of the warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9-inch springform pan
Per serving: 331 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 284 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour