A lightly spiced cake with a dramatic topping of glistening plums—it's perfect for a September birthday.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds purple plums, (about 8 medium plums)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch springform pan with foil, smoothing out the wrinkles. Coat the foil with cooking spray. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar in the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Halve plums lengthwise and remove the pits. Cut each half lengthwise into thin slices. Arrange circular rows of overlapping slices in the prepared pan; place any remaining slices in an even layer on top.
- Stir together cake flour and whole-wheat flour, the remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together yogurt, oil, egg, egg white and vanilla in another bowl until well combined. Stir the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until blended.
- Gently spoon the batter onto the plums, smoothing the top. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the outer ring of the springform pan, fold back the foil, and invert the cake onto a cake plate. Remove the pan bottom and foil.
- Whisk jelly in a small saucepan over low heat until melted. Brush over the top of the warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9-inch springform pan
Per serving: 331 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 284 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation