From EatingWell: October 1997
Crunchy amaretti cookies top this plum gratin.
- 1 pound ripe red or purple plums (6-8 plums), pitted and cut into eighths
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur, (optional)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 amaretti cookies or 2 gingersnaps, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat four 1- to 1 1/2-cup gratin dishes or a shallow 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Toss plums with sugar and amaretto, if using, in a medium bowl. Spread evenly in prepared dish(es). Bake, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolk, yogurt, condensed milk and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator until needed.
- Shortly before serving, preheat broiler. Spoon the yogurt mixture over plums. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until golden and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Serve hot or warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The plums (though Step 2) will keep, loosely covered, at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 216 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 64 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- October 1997