From EatingWell: October 1997
Crunchy amaretti cookies top this plum gratin.
- 1 pound ripe red or purple plums (6-8 plums), pitted and cut into eighths
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur, (optional)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 amaretti cookies or 2 gingersnaps, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat four 1- to 1 1/2-cup gratin dishes or a shallow 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Toss plums with sugar and amaretto, if using, in a medium bowl. Spread evenly in prepared dish(es). Bake, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolk, yogurt, condensed milk and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator until needed.
- Shortly before serving, preheat broiler. Spoon the yogurt mixture over plums. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until golden and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Serve hot or warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The plums (though Step 2) will keep, loosely covered, at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 216 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 64 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- October 1997