From EatingWell: October 1997
Crunchy amaretti cookies top this plum gratin.
- 1 pound ripe red or purple plums (6-8 plums), pitted and cut into eighths
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur, (optional)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 amaretti cookies or 2 gingersnaps, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat four 1- to 1 1/2-cup gratin dishes or a shallow 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Toss plums with sugar and amaretto, if using, in a medium bowl. Spread evenly in prepared dish(es). Bake, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolk, yogurt, condensed milk and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator until needed.
- Shortly before serving, preheat broiler. Spoon the yogurt mixture over plums. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until golden and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Serve hot or warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The plums (though Step 2) will keep, loosely covered, at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 216 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 64 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- October 1997