Plantain Soup (Sopa de Platanos)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Shredded plantains and fresh cilantro combine in a refreshing Puerto Rican soup.
- 3 green plantains, peeled (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 teaspoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 lime wedges
- Shred plantains using the large holes of a box grater.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and 1/4 cup cilantro; cook, stirring, until the garlic is softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth and water and bring to a boil. Stir in plantains and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until the plantains are tender and the soup is thickened, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese and garnish with a lime wedge.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Plantains are usually sold underripe with green-yellow skin—just what you'll need for this recipe. (A ripe plantain, with black-yellow skin, should not be used instead.) Find them at large supermarkets or Hispanic markets. To peel an unripe plantain, slice off both ends and cut into 3-inch lengths. Using the tip of a paring knife, cut 4 lengthwise slits along each piece. Soak in ice water for 3 to 5 minutes to loosen the skin. Remove from the water and peel.
Per serving: 121 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 2007