Plantain Soup (Sopa de Platanos)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Shredded plantains and fresh cilantro combine in a refreshing Puerto Rican soup.
- 3 green plantains, peeled (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 teaspoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 lime wedges
- Shred plantains using the large holes of a box grater.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and 1/4 cup cilantro; cook, stirring, until the garlic is softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth and water and bring to a boil. Stir in plantains and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until the plantains are tender and the soup is thickened, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese and garnish with a lime wedge.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Plantains are usually sold underripe with green-yellow skin—just what you'll need for this recipe. (A ripe plantain, with black-yellow skin, should not be used instead.) Find them at large supermarkets or Hispanic markets. To peel an unripe plantain, slice off both ends and cut into 3-inch lengths. Using the tip of a paring knife, cut 4 lengthwise slits along each piece. Soak in ice water for 3 to 5 minutes to loosen the skin. Remove from the water and peel.
Per serving: 121 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2007