Plantain Soup (Sopa de Platanos)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Shredded plantains and fresh cilantro combine in a refreshing Puerto Rican soup.
- 3 green plantains, peeled (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 teaspoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 lime wedges
- Shred plantains using the large holes of a box grater.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and 1/4 cup cilantro; cook, stirring, until the garlic is softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth and water and bring to a boil. Stir in plantains and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until the plantains are tender and the soup is thickened, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese and garnish with a lime wedge.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Plantains are usually sold underripe with green-yellow skin—just what you'll need for this recipe. (A ripe plantain, with black-yellow skin, should not be used instead.) Find them at large supermarkets or Hispanic markets. To peel an unripe plantain, slice off both ends and cut into 3-inch lengths. Using the tip of a paring knife, cut 4 lengthwise slits along each piece. Soak in ice water for 3 to 5 minutes to loosen the skin. Remove from the water and peel.
Per serving: 121 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- September/October 2007