Plantain Soup (Sopa de Platanos)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Shredded plantains and fresh cilantro combine in a refreshing Puerto Rican soup.
- 3 green plantains, peeled (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 teaspoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 lime wedges
- Shred plantains using the large holes of a box grater.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and 1/4 cup cilantro; cook, stirring, until the garlic is softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth and water and bring to a boil. Stir in plantains and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until the plantains are tender and the soup is thickened, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese and garnish with a lime wedge.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Plantains are usually sold underripe with green-yellow skin—just what you'll need for this recipe. (A ripe plantain, with black-yellow skin, should not be used instead.) Find them at large supermarkets or Hispanic markets. To peel an unripe plantain, slice off both ends and cut into 3-inch lengths. Using the tip of a paring knife, cut 4 lengthwise slits along each piece. Soak in ice water for 3 to 5 minutes to loosen the skin. Remove from the water and peel.
Per serving: 121 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 315 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2007