Plank-Grilled Salmon with Creamy Tarragon Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Grilling salmon on a cedar plank imparts a deliciously smoky flavor to the fish. The tarragon cream sauce uses low-in-saturated-fat Greek-style yogurt. Look for cedar planks with other grilling supplies in supermarkets or hardware stores.
- 1 1/4 pounds wild Alaskan salmon fillet
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt, divided
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- Soak a cedar grilling plank in water for 2 to 4 hours.
- About 20 minutes before you’re ready to grill, preheat grill to medium. Season salmon with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let stand while the grill preheats.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt with 1 tablespoon oil, orange juice, tarragon and the remaining pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Whisk vigorously until all the oil has been incorporated into the yogurt.
- When ready to grill, brush the salmon with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Place the soaked cedar plank directly over the fire for about 1 minute. Using tongs, turn the plank over to expose the slightly charred side. Place the salmon fillet skin-side down on the plank. Cover the grill and cook until the salmon is easily flaked with a fork, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the entire plank from the grill and serve from it or transfer the salmon to a serving platter. Serve the salmon with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 3) for up to 1 day. Equipment: Cedar grilling plank
Per serving: 242 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 0 g fiber; 402 mg sodium; 537 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (15% daily value), omega-3s
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2012