Plank-Grilled Salmon with Creamy Tarragon Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Grilling salmon on a cedar plank imparts a deliciously smoky flavor to the fish. The tarragon cream sauce uses low-in-saturated-fat Greek-style yogurt. Look for cedar planks with other grilling supplies in supermarkets or hardware stores.
- 1 1/4 pounds wild Alaskan salmon fillet
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt, divided
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- Soak a cedar grilling plank in water for 2 to 4 hours.
- About 20 minutes before you’re ready to grill, preheat grill to medium. Season salmon with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let stand while the grill preheats.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt with 1 tablespoon oil, orange juice, tarragon and the remaining pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Whisk vigorously until all the oil has been incorporated into the yogurt.
- When ready to grill, brush the salmon with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Place the soaked cedar plank directly over the fire for about 1 minute. Using tongs, turn the plank over to expose the slightly charred side. Place the salmon fillet skin-side down on the plank. Cover the grill and cook until the salmon is easily flaked with a fork, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the entire plank from the grill and serve from it or transfer the salmon to a serving platter. Serve the salmon with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 3) for up to 1 day. Equipment: Cedar grilling plank
Per serving: 242 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 0 g fiber; 402 mg sodium; 537 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (15% daily value), omega-3s
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012