Plank-Grilled Salmon with Creamy Tarragon Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Grilling salmon on a cedar plank imparts a deliciously smoky flavor to the fish. The tarragon cream sauce uses low-in-saturated-fat Greek-style yogurt. Look for cedar planks with other grilling supplies in supermarkets or hardware stores.
- 1 1/4 pounds wild Alaskan salmon fillet
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt, divided
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- Soak a cedar grilling plank in water for 2 to 4 hours.
- About 20 minutes before you’re ready to grill, preheat grill to medium. Season salmon with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let stand while the grill preheats.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt with 1 tablespoon oil, orange juice, tarragon and the remaining pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Whisk vigorously until all the oil has been incorporated into the yogurt.
- When ready to grill, brush the salmon with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Place the soaked cedar plank directly over the fire for about 1 minute. Using tongs, turn the plank over to expose the slightly charred side. Place the salmon fillet skin-side down on the plank. Cover the grill and cook until the salmon is easily flaked with a fork, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the entire plank from the grill and serve from it or transfer the salmon to a serving platter. Serve the salmon with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 3) for up to 1 day. Equipment: Cedar grilling plank
Per serving: 242 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 0 g fiber; 402 mg sodium; 537 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (15% daily value), omega-3s
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012