Pizzelle Cannoli Shells
From EatingWell: September 1998
A bit of cinnamon, lemon and vanilla flavor these cannoli shells. To make pizzelle cookies, do not roll them after baking; simply transfer pizzelles to a wire rack to cool.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, (not extra-virgin) or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk flour, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Beat egg, egg white and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thickened and pale, about 5 minutes. Beat in oil, butter, milk, lemon juice and vanilla with mixer at low speed. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Preheat pizzelle iron (medium heat for a stovetop iron). Place cannoli mold (or 1-inch dowel) by pizzelle iron.
- Lightly oil the iron or coat it with cooking spray. Use 1 generous tablespoon batter for each pizzelle. Close iron tightly to press the batter into a thin layer. Bake until light golden, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Immediately lift pizzelle from iron with a fork or small metal spatula and wrap it around cannoli mold. (If your iron makes 2 cookies, leave the second one on the iron, uncovered, to stay warm while you shape the first one.) Press hard on mold to seal overlapping edges of shell. Remove shell from mold and transfer to a wire rack to cool. (The shell will become crisp as it cools.) Repeat with remaining batter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Pizzelle iron
Per serving: 73 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 24 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- September 1998