Pizzelle Cannoli Shells
From EatingWell: September 1998
A bit of cinnamon, lemon and vanilla flavor these cannoli shells. To make pizzelle cookies, do not roll them after baking; simply transfer pizzelles to a wire rack to cool.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, (not extra-virgin) or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk flour, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Beat egg, egg white and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thickened and pale, about 5 minutes. Beat in oil, butter, milk, lemon juice and vanilla with mixer at low speed. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Preheat pizzelle iron (medium heat for a stovetop iron). Place cannoli mold (or 1-inch dowel) by pizzelle iron.
- Lightly oil the iron or coat it with cooking spray. Use 1 generous tablespoon batter for each pizzelle. Close iron tightly to press the batter into a thin layer. Bake until light golden, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Immediately lift pizzelle from iron with a fork or small metal spatula and wrap it around cannoli mold. (If your iron makes 2 cookies, leave the second one on the iron, uncovered, to stay warm while you shape the first one.) Press hard on mold to seal overlapping edges of shell. Remove shell from mold and transfer to a wire rack to cool. (The shell will become crisp as it cools.) Repeat with remaining batter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Pizzelle iron
Per serving: 73 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 24 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- September 1998