Pizzelle Cannoli Shells
From EatingWell: September 1998
A bit of cinnamon, lemon and vanilla flavor these cannoli shells. To make pizzelle cookies, do not roll them after baking; simply transfer pizzelles to a wire rack to cool.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, (not extra-virgin) or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk flour, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Beat egg, egg white and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thickened and pale, about 5 minutes. Beat in oil, butter, milk, lemon juice and vanilla with mixer at low speed. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Preheat pizzelle iron (medium heat for a stovetop iron). Place cannoli mold (or 1-inch dowel) by pizzelle iron.
- Lightly oil the iron or coat it with cooking spray. Use 1 generous tablespoon batter for each pizzelle. Close iron tightly to press the batter into a thin layer. Bake until light golden, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Immediately lift pizzelle from iron with a fork or small metal spatula and wrap it around cannoli mold. (If your iron makes 2 cookies, leave the second one on the iron, uncovered, to stay warm while you shape the first one.) Press hard on mold to seal overlapping edges of shell. Remove shell from mold and transfer to a wire rack to cool. (The shell will become crisp as it cools.) Repeat with remaining batter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Pizzelle iron
Per serving: 73 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 24 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September 1998