Pizzelle Cannoli Shells
From EatingWell: September 1998
A bit of cinnamon, lemon and vanilla flavor these cannoli shells. To make pizzelle cookies, do not roll them after baking; simply transfer pizzelles to a wire rack to cool.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, (not extra-virgin) or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk flour, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Beat egg, egg white and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thickened and pale, about 5 minutes. Beat in oil, butter, milk, lemon juice and vanilla with mixer at low speed. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Preheat pizzelle iron (medium heat for a stovetop iron). Place cannoli mold (or 1-inch dowel) by pizzelle iron.
- Lightly oil the iron or coat it with cooking spray. Use 1 generous tablespoon batter for each pizzelle. Close iron tightly to press the batter into a thin layer. Bake until light golden, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Immediately lift pizzelle from iron with a fork or small metal spatula and wrap it around cannoli mold. (If your iron makes 2 cookies, leave the second one on the iron, uncovered, to stay warm while you shape the first one.) Press hard on mold to seal overlapping edges of shell. Remove shell from mold and transfer to a wire rack to cool. (The shell will become crisp as it cools.) Repeat with remaining batter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Pizzelle iron
Per serving: 73 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 24 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- September 1998