Pizzelle Cannoli Shells
From EatingWell: September 1998
A bit of cinnamon, lemon and vanilla flavor these cannoli shells. To make pizzelle cookies, do not roll them after baking; simply transfer pizzelles to a wire rack to cool.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, (not extra-virgin) or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk flour, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Beat egg, egg white and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thickened and pale, about 5 minutes. Beat in oil, butter, milk, lemon juice and vanilla with mixer at low speed. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Preheat pizzelle iron (medium heat for a stovetop iron). Place cannoli mold (or 1-inch dowel) by pizzelle iron.
- Lightly oil the iron or coat it with cooking spray. Use 1 generous tablespoon batter for each pizzelle. Close iron tightly to press the batter into a thin layer. Bake until light golden, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Immediately lift pizzelle from iron with a fork or small metal spatula and wrap it around cannoli mold. (If your iron makes 2 cookies, leave the second one on the iron, uncovered, to stay warm while you shape the first one.) Press hard on mold to seal overlapping edges of shell. Remove shell from mold and transfer to a wire rack to cool. (The shell will become crisp as it cools.) Repeat with remaining batter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Pizzelle iron
Per serving: 73 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 24 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September 1998