Prepared marinara sauce, mushrooms and basil turns the usual meatloaf into something special.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup seasoned (Italian-style) breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray and place it on a large baking sheet with sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and basil; cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine beef, garlic, breadcrumbs, milk and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the prepared pan. With dampened hands, pat into a 10-inch circle. Top with marinara sauce. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until the meat is browned and the cheese has melted, about 30 minutes. Drain off any fat. Cut into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Use a perforated pizza pan so excess fat drips away.
Per serving: 195 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 2 g fiber; 471 mg sodium; 414 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 21/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient