Prepared marinara sauce, mushrooms and basil turns the usual meatloaf into something special.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup seasoned (Italian-style) breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray and place it on a large baking sheet with sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and basil; cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine beef, garlic, breadcrumbs, milk and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the prepared pan. With dampened hands, pat into a 10-inch circle. Top with marinara sauce. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until the meat is browned and the cheese has melted, about 30 minutes. Drain off any fat. Cut into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Use a perforated pizza pan so excess fat drips away.
Per serving: 195 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 2 g fiber; 471 mg sodium; 414 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 21/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation