Prepared marinara sauce, mushrooms and basil turns the usual meatloaf into something special.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup seasoned (Italian-style) breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray and place it on a large baking sheet with sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and basil; cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine beef, garlic, breadcrumbs, milk and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the prepared pan. With dampened hands, pat into a 10-inch circle. Top with marinara sauce. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until the meat is browned and the cheese has melted, about 30 minutes. Drain off any fat. Cut into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Use a perforated pizza pan so excess fat drips away.
Per serving: 195 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 2 g fiber; 471 mg sodium; 414 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 21/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation