From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Fresh tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onions and basil top quick homemade pizza dough. If you're pressed for time, stop at the grocery store and pick up some whole-wheat dough instead.
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal, for dusting pizza peel
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, (4 ounces)
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- 2 cups sliced zucchini, (1 medium)
- 8 cups sliced mushrooms, (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup sliced onions, (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or the highest oven setting.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, with a rolling pin, roll out on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or an inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each round of dough. Arrange 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup zucchini, 1 cup mushrooms and a few onion slices over the cheese. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon basil over the top and season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
Per serving: 229 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 551 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Selenium (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992