From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Fresh tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onions and basil top quick homemade pizza dough. If you're pressed for time, stop at the grocery store and pick up some whole-wheat dough instead.
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal, for dusting pizza peel
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, (4 ounces)
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- 2 cups sliced zucchini, (1 medium)
- 8 cups sliced mushrooms, (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup sliced onions, (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or the highest oven setting.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, with a rolling pin, roll out on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or an inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each round of dough. Arrange 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup zucchini, 1 cup mushrooms and a few onion slices over the cheese. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon basil over the top and season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
Per serving: 229 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 551 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Selenium (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1992