From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Fresh tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onions and basil top quick homemade pizza dough. If you're pressed for time, stop at the grocery store and pick up some whole-wheat dough instead.
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal, for dusting pizza peel
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, (4 ounces)
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- 2 cups sliced zucchini, (1 medium)
- 8 cups sliced mushrooms, (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup sliced onions, (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or the highest oven setting.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, with a rolling pin, roll out on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or an inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each round of dough. Arrange 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup zucchini, 1 cup mushrooms and a few onion slices over the cheese. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon basil over the top and season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
Per serving: 229 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 551 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Selenium (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992