From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Fresh tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onions and basil top quick homemade pizza dough. If you're pressed for time, stop at the grocery store and pick up some whole-wheat dough instead.
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal, for dusting pizza peel
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, (4 ounces)
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- 2 cups sliced zucchini, (1 medium)
- 8 cups sliced mushrooms, (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup sliced onions, (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or the highest oven setting.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, with a rolling pin, roll out on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or an inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each round of dough. Arrange 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup zucchini, 1 cup mushrooms and a few onion slices over the cheese. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon basil over the top and season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
Per serving: 229 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 551 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Selenium (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992