From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Fresh tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onions and basil top quick homemade pizza dough. If you're pressed for time, stop at the grocery store and pick up some whole-wheat dough instead.
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal, for dusting pizza peel
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, (4 ounces)
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- 2 cups sliced zucchini, (1 medium)
- 8 cups sliced mushrooms, (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup sliced onions, (1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or the highest oven setting.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, with a rolling pin, roll out on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or an inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each round of dough. Arrange 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup zucchini, 1 cup mushrooms and a few onion slices over the cheese. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon basil over the top and season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
Per serving: 229 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 551 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Folate (31% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Selenium (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992