Slow-Cooker Pinto Bean Stew with Jalapeño-Corn Dumplings
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This healthy slow-cooker pinto bean stew recipe is bursting with veggies—onion, bell pepper, celery and corn—and topped with crunchy bits of radish and chile- and lime-flecked cornbread dumplings. If you’re pressed for time, skip the dumplings and serve this pinto bean stew straight out of the crock pot, topped with crushed tortilla chips and a sprinkling of Monterey Jack cheese. Make sure to soak your dried beans before using them in the slow cooker to ensure even cooking.
- 1 pound dry pinto beans, soaked (see Tip)
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal, preferably whole-grain
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 fresh jalapeño, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- Drain the soaked beans. Combine the beans, water, onion, bell pepper, celery, corn, garlic, chili powder and cumin in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cook on High for 4 hours (or on Low for 8 hours).
- To prepare dumplings: Just before the end of the 4 (or 8) hours, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add butter and use a pastry blender, two knives or a fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add jalapeño and lime zest and toss to coat. Add buttermilk and stir to form a dough.
- After the stew has cooked for 4 (or 8) hours, stir in lime juice and salt. Using generous tablespoonfuls of dough, drop 8 dumplings on top of the stew. Cover and cook on High for 1 hour. Serve each portion of stew topped with a dumpling. Garnish with cilantro and radish.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Soak beans; prep vegetables, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; measure seasonings. | Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- Tip: Before using beans in a slow-cooker recipe, soak them to ensure even cooking. Start by sorting beans to remove any pebbles; rinse well with cold water. To soak overnight: Place beans in a large bowl, cover with 3 inches of cold water and soak at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours. To “quick soak”: Place beans in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 317 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 15 g fiber; 609 mg sodium; 814 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (67% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Vitamin A (26% dv), Iron, Magnesium & Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- March/April 2013