Pinto Bean Salad with Spiced Molasses Dressing
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Molasses and chipotle pepper in adobo sauce add zest to this simple pinto bean salad.
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not packed in oil)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Place tomatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and place in a blender with garlic, molasses, vinegar, oil, mustard and chipotle, if using. Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides once or twice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine beans, bell pepper and onion in a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 248 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 8 g fiber; 481 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Magnesium (26% dv), Iron (25% dv); Potassium (23% dv). Folate (22% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1997