Pinto Bean Salad with Spiced Molasses Dressing
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Molasses and chipotle pepper in adobo sauce add zest to this simple pinto bean salad.
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not packed in oil)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Place tomatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and place in a blender with garlic, molasses, vinegar, oil, mustard and chipotle, if using. Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides once or twice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine beans, bell pepper and onion in a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 248 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 8 g fiber; 481 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Magnesium (26% dv), Iron (25% dv); Potassium (23% dv). Folate (22% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1997