Pinto Bean Salad with Spiced Molasses Dressing
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Molasses and chipotle pepper in adobo sauce add zest to this simple pinto bean salad.
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not packed in oil)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Place tomatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and place in a blender with garlic, molasses, vinegar, oil, mustard and chipotle, if using. Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides once or twice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine beans, bell pepper and onion in a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 248 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 8 g fiber; 481 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Magnesium (26% dv), Iron (25% dv); Potassium (23% dv). Folate (22% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1997