Pinto Bean Salad with Spiced Molasses Dressing
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Molasses and chipotle pepper in adobo sauce add zest to this simple pinto bean salad.
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not packed in oil)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Place tomatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and place in a blender with garlic, molasses, vinegar, oil, mustard and chipotle, if using. Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides once or twice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine beans, bell pepper and onion in a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 248 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 8 g fiber; 481 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Magnesium (26% dv), Iron (25% dv); Potassium (23% dv). Folate (22% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1997