Pinto Bean Salad with Spiced Molasses Dressing
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Molasses and chipotle pepper in adobo sauce add zest to this simple pinto bean salad.
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not packed in oil)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, (optional)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Place tomatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and place in a blender with garlic, molasses, vinegar, oil, mustard and chipotle, if using. Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides once or twice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine beans, bell pepper and onion in a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 248 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 8 g fiber; 481 mg sodium; 816 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Magnesium (26% dv), Iron (25% dv); Potassium (23% dv). Folate (22% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1997