Pinto Bean Chilaquiles
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This Mexican chilaquiles recipe is a one-skillet dish made with corn tortillas and eggs. Making chilaquiles is a great way to use stale tortillas, as they are crisped in the oven before being simmered in a flavorful garlicky sauce. Unless you want a very spicy sauce, make sure to use regular (not hot) chili powder.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- Preheat to 375°F.
- Coat tortillas with cooking spray; cut into quarters. Spread on a large baking sheet. Bake, stirring once halfway, until crispy, 14 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chili powder and salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water, sugar and beans; bring to a simmer. Add the chips and return to a simmer, turning to coat, until the chips begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Crack an egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk, and slip it into the pan. Repeat, spacing the eggs evenly (the whites may spread a bit). Cover and cook until the whites are just set, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with radishes, cilantro, feta and onion.
Per serving: 431 calories; 24 g fat (5 g sat, 12 g mono); 194 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 11 g fiber; 684 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (72% daily value), Iron (26% dv), Folate & Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium & Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013