Pinto Bean Chilaquiles
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This Mexican chilaquiles recipe is a one-skillet dish made with corn tortillas and eggs. Making chilaquiles is a great way to use stale tortillas, as they are crisped in the oven before being simmered in a flavorful garlicky sauce. Unless you want a very spicy sauce, make sure to use regular (not hot) chili powder.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- Preheat to 375°F.
- Coat tortillas with cooking spray; cut into quarters. Spread on a large baking sheet. Bake, stirring once halfway, until crispy, 14 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chili powder and salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water, sugar and beans; bring to a simmer. Add the chips and return to a simmer, turning to coat, until the chips begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Crack an egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk, and slip it into the pan. Repeat, spacing the eggs evenly (the whites may spread a bit). Cover and cook until the whites are just set, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with radishes, cilantro, feta and onion.
Per serving: 431 calories; 24 g fat (5 g sat, 12 g mono); 194 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 11 g fiber; 684 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (72% daily value), Iron (26% dv), Folate & Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium & Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- May/June 2013