Pinto Bean Chilaquiles
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This Mexican chilaquiles recipe is a one-skillet dish made with corn tortillas and eggs. Making chilaquiles is a great way to use stale tortillas, as they are crisped in the oven before being simmered in a flavorful garlicky sauce. Unless you want a very spicy sauce, make sure to use regular (not hot) chili powder.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- Preheat to 375°F.
- Coat tortillas with cooking spray; cut into quarters. Spread on a large baking sheet. Bake, stirring once halfway, until crispy, 14 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chili powder and salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water, sugar and beans; bring to a simmer. Add the chips and return to a simmer, turning to coat, until the chips begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Crack an egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk, and slip it into the pan. Repeat, spacing the eggs evenly (the whites may spread a bit). Cover and cook until the whites are just set, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with radishes, cilantro, feta and onion.
Per serving: 431 calories; 24 g fat (5 g sat, 12 g mono); 194 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 11 g fiber; 684 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (72% daily value), Iron (26% dv), Folate & Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium & Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013