Pinto Bean Chilaquiles
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This Mexican chilaquiles recipe is a one-skillet dish made with corn tortillas and eggs. Making chilaquiles is a great way to use stale tortillas, as they are crisped in the oven before being simmered in a flavorful garlicky sauce. Unless you want a very spicy sauce, make sure to use regular (not hot) chili powder.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- Preheat to 375°F.
- Coat tortillas with cooking spray; cut into quarters. Spread on a large baking sheet. Bake, stirring once halfway, until crispy, 14 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chili powder and salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water, sugar and beans; bring to a simmer. Add the chips and return to a simmer, turning to coat, until the chips begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Crack an egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk, and slip it into the pan. Repeat, spacing the eggs evenly (the whites may spread a bit). Cover and cook until the whites are just set, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with radishes, cilantro, feta and onion.
Per serving: 431 calories; 24 g fat (5 g sat, 12 g mono); 194 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 11 g fiber; 684 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (72% daily value), Iron (26% dv), Folate & Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium & Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2013