Pinto Bean Chilaquiles
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This Mexican chilaquiles recipe is a one-skillet dish made with corn tortillas and eggs. Making chilaquiles is a great way to use stale tortillas, as they are crisped in the oven before being simmered in a flavorful garlicky sauce. Unless you want a very spicy sauce, make sure to use regular (not hot) chili powder.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- Preheat to 375°F.
- Coat tortillas with cooking spray; cut into quarters. Spread on a large baking sheet. Bake, stirring once halfway, until crispy, 14 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chili powder and salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water, sugar and beans; bring to a simmer. Add the chips and return to a simmer, turning to coat, until the chips begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Crack an egg into a small bowl, taking care not to break the yolk, and slip it into the pan. Repeat, spacing the eggs evenly (the whites may spread a bit). Cover and cook until the whites are just set, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with radishes, cilantro, feta and onion.
Per serving: 431 calories; 24 g fat (5 g sat, 12 g mono); 194 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 11 g fiber; 684 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (72% daily value), Iron (26% dv), Folate & Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium & Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2013