Pineapple-Rum Frozen Yogurt
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Jazz up store-bought frozen yogurt with this quick pineapple-rum mixture.
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple,drained
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt,softened
- 4 tablespoons sweetened, flaked coconut, toasted (optional, see Tip)
- Combine pineapple, rum and brown sugar in a small bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place frozen yogurt in a mixing bowl. Use a potato masher to mix in pineapple-rum mixture. Cover and freeze for 15 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Scoop frozen yogurt into 4 serving dishes and top with toasted coconut, if desired. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast coconut: Place coconut in a small dry skillet and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes or spread in a shallow baking dish and bake at 350°F until light golden and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
Per serving: 166 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 66 mg sodium; 297 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1997