Pineapple-Pecan Quick Bread
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
Pineapple makes this quick bread moist and flavorful.
- Quick-Bread Dry Mix, (recipe follows)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tips)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced pineapple, fresh or canned, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans, (see Tips), plus more for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F for muffins, mini loaves and mini Bundts or 375°F for a large loaf. Coat pan(s) (see "Pan Options") with cooking spray.
- Prepare Quick-Bread Dry Mix.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar, butter, oil and vanilla in a large bowl until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Add pineapple and pecans. Stir just to combine; do not overmix. Transfer batter to the prepared pan(s). Top with additional pecans, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes for muffins or mini Bundts, 35 minutes for mini loaves, 1 hour 10 minutes for a large loaf. Let cool in the pan(s) for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Let muffins and mini Bundts cool for 5 minutes more, mini loaves for 30 minutes, large loaves for 40 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store, individually wrapped, at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Tips: No buttermilk? Mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice into 1 cup milk.
- To toast walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts, spread nuts onto a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. To toast sliced almonds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Pan Options:
- Each of these recipes will make:
- 1 large loaf (9-by-5-inch pan)
- 3 mini loaves (6-by-3-inch pan, 2-cup capacity)
- 6 mini Bundt cakes (6-cup mini Bundt pan, scant 1-cup capacity per cake)
- 12 muffins (standard 12-cup, 2 1/2-inch muffin pan)
Per serving: 223 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 other carb, 1.5 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- October/November 2005