Pineapple & Ham Bread Soufflé
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
A bread pudding-soufflé hybrid, this dish gets its inspiration from a rich, pineapple soufflé traditionally served as an accompaniment to baked ham. We turned it into a main dish, putting the ham straight into the soufflé. Then, we improved the nutritional profile by omitting heavy cream and butter and choosing whole-wheat bread over white. For the best texture and flavor, look for soft whole-wheat sandwich bread without any added malt or molasses. Be sure to use canned, not fresh pineapple—fresh pineapple makes the soufflé too wet.
- 1 pound soft whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 3 8-ounce cans crushed pineapple, very well drained
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced ham steak
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 2 1/2-quart soufflé or casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Process bread in a food processor in three batches, until coarse crumbs form (about 5 cups).
- Whisk 2 egg yolks (discard the remaining yolks or reserve for another use), milk, pineapple and ham in a large bowl. Stir in the breadcrumbs and butter.
- Beat 6 egg whites, sugar and salt in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the bread mixture in two batches. Transfer to the prepared dish.
- Bake the soufflé until puffed, golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers at least 160°F, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 2 1/2-quart soufflé or casserole dish
Per serving: 475 calories; 16 g fat (7 g sat, 5 g mono); 117 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 6 g fiber; 493 mg sodium; 320 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Vitamin C & Iron (20% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2008