Pineapple Coffee Cake
Nonfat plain yogurt stands in for sour cream to add moisture and tenderness to this lightened-up pineapple coffee cake. Best of all, you can mix the batter and have this wholesome breakfast treat in the oven in under 15 minutes—that's healthy in a hurry.
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh or canned pineapple chunks, blotted dry and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk egg, yogurt, oil and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just blended. (Do not overmix.) Fold in pineapple. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Combine pecans and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake the cake until the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm. Variations This quick coffee cake can be made with a variety of fruit. Try rhubarb, blueberries or peaches. If using frozen fruit, increase the baking time by 10 to 15 minutes.
Per serving: 253 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 476 mg sodium; 94 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique