Pineapple Coffee Cake
Nonfat plain yogurt stands in for sour cream to add moisture and tenderness to this lightened-up pineapple coffee cake. Best of all, you can mix the batter and have this wholesome breakfast treat in the oven in under 15 minutes—that's healthy in a hurry.
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh or canned pineapple chunks, blotted dry and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk egg, yogurt, oil and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just blended. (Do not overmix.) Fold in pineapple. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Combine pecans and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake the cake until the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm. Variations This quick coffee cake can be made with a variety of fruit. Try rhubarb, blueberries or peaches. If using frozen fruit, increase the baking time by 10 to 15 minutes.
Per serving: 253 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 476 mg sodium; 94 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation