Pineapple Coffee Cake
Nonfat plain yogurt stands in for sour cream to add moisture and tenderness to this lightened-up pineapple coffee cake. Best of all, you can mix the batter and have this wholesome breakfast treat in the oven in under 15 minutes—that's healthy in a hurry.
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh or canned pineapple chunks, blotted dry and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk egg, yogurt, oil and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just blended. (Do not overmix.) Fold in pineapple. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Combine pecans and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake the cake until the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm. Variations This quick coffee cake can be made with a variety of fruit. Try rhubarb, blueberries or peaches. If using frozen fruit, increase the baking time by 10 to 15 minutes.
Per serving: 253 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 476 mg sodium; 94 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique