Pineapple & Coconut Napoleons
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Prepare this beautiful stacked cream and pineapple napoleons recipe when you want a special dessert without a lot of effort. We use store-bought angel food cake to keep this pineapple dessert brilliantly simple and fast.
- 8 fresh pineapple rings (about 1/4 inch thick), divided
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices prepared angel food cake (about 5 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons toasted unsweetened coconut (see Tip)
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Place 4 pineapple rings on a small baking sheet and sprinkle with brown sugar. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source just until the sugar is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Whip cream with an electric mixer until stiff. Gently fold in yogurt and vanilla.
- Divide the remaining pineapple rings among 4 plates. Top each ring with 2 tablespoons of the cream, 2 slices of cake, side by side, and another 2 tablespoons cream. Top each stack with a ring of sugared pineapple, sprinkle with coconut and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Flakes of coconut adorn this easy dessert. To make it super-flavorful, toast coconut in a small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until fragrant.
Per serving: 272 calories; 12 g fat (8 g sat, 3 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 11 g added sugars; 22 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 215 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (68% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2014