Pineapple & Coconut Napoleons
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Prepare this beautiful stacked cream and pineapple napoleons recipe when you want a special dessert without a lot of effort. We use store-bought angel food cake to keep this pineapple dessert brilliantly simple and fast.
- 8 fresh pineapple rings (about 1/4 inch thick), divided
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices prepared angel food cake (about 5 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons toasted unsweetened coconut (see Tip)
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Place 4 pineapple rings on a small baking sheet and sprinkle with brown sugar. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source just until the sugar is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Whip cream with an electric mixer until stiff. Gently fold in yogurt and vanilla.
- Divide the remaining pineapple rings among 4 plates. Top each ring with 2 tablespoons of the cream, 2 slices of cake, side by side, and another 2 tablespoons cream. Top each stack with a ring of sugared pineapple, sprinkle with coconut and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Flakes of coconut adorn this easy dessert. To make it super-flavorful, toast coconut in a small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until fragrant.
Per serving: 272 calories; 12 g fat (8 g sat, 3 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 11 g added sugars; 22 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 215 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (68% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- January/February 2014