Pineapple & Coconut Napoleons
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Prepare this beautiful stacked cream and pineapple napoleons recipe when you want a special dessert without a lot of effort. We use store-bought angel food cake to keep this pineapple dessert brilliantly simple and fast.
- 8 fresh pineapple rings (about 1/4 inch thick), divided
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices prepared angel food cake (about 5 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons toasted unsweetened coconut (see Tip)
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Place 4 pineapple rings on a small baking sheet and sprinkle with brown sugar. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source just until the sugar is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Whip cream with an electric mixer until stiff. Gently fold in yogurt and vanilla.
- Divide the remaining pineapple rings among 4 plates. Top each ring with 2 tablespoons of the cream, 2 slices of cake, side by side, and another 2 tablespoons cream. Top each stack with a ring of sugared pineapple, sprinkle with coconut and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Flakes of coconut adorn this easy dessert. To make it super-flavorful, toast coconut in a small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until fragrant.
Per serving: 272 calories; 12 g fat (8 g sat, 3 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 11 g added sugars; 22 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 215 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (68% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014