Pineapple & Coconut Napoleons
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Prepare this beautiful stacked cream and pineapple napoleons recipe when you want a special dessert without a lot of effort. We use store-bought angel food cake to keep this pineapple dessert brilliantly simple and fast.
- 8 fresh pineapple rings (about 1/4 inch thick), divided
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices prepared angel food cake (about 5 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons toasted unsweetened coconut (see Tip)
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Place 4 pineapple rings on a small baking sheet and sprinkle with brown sugar. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source just until the sugar is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Whip cream with an electric mixer until stiff. Gently fold in yogurt and vanilla.
- Divide the remaining pineapple rings among 4 plates. Top each ring with 2 tablespoons of the cream, 2 slices of cake, side by side, and another 2 tablespoons cream. Top each stack with a ring of sugared pineapple, sprinkle with coconut and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Flakes of coconut adorn this easy dessert. To make it super-flavorful, toast coconut in a small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until fragrant.
Per serving: 272 calories; 12 g fat (8 g sat, 3 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 11 g added sugars; 22 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 215 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (68% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014