Pineapple & Coconut Napoleons
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Prepare this beautiful stacked cream and pineapple napoleons recipe when you want a special dessert without a lot of effort. We use store-bought angel food cake to keep this pineapple dessert brilliantly simple and fast.
- 8 fresh pineapple rings (about 1/4 inch thick), divided
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices prepared angel food cake (about 5 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons toasted unsweetened coconut (see Tip)
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Place 4 pineapple rings on a small baking sheet and sprinkle with brown sugar. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source just until the sugar is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Whip cream with an electric mixer until stiff. Gently fold in yogurt and vanilla.
- Divide the remaining pineapple rings among 4 plates. Top each ring with 2 tablespoons of the cream, 2 slices of cake, side by side, and another 2 tablespoons cream. Top each stack with a ring of sugared pineapple, sprinkle with coconut and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Flakes of coconut adorn this easy dessert. To make it super-flavorful, toast coconut in a small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until fragrant.
Per serving: 272 calories; 12 g fat (8 g sat, 3 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 11 g added sugars; 22 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 215 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (68% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- January/February 2014