Take a trip to the tropics with these pineapple-coconut sundaes.
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 pint vanilla nonfat frozen yogurt, or low-fat ice cream, slightly softened (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup Caramel-Orange Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray.
- Slice pineapple, place on the baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Broil until light golden, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast coconut in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until lightly colored and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Arrange several pineapple slices on each dessert plate. Top with a scoop of frozen yogurt (or ice cream). Drizzle with Caramel-Orange Sauce. Garnish with coconut and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To soften ice cream quickly, microwave it on medium-low for 30 to 60 seconds.
Per serving: 311 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 67 mg sodium; 397 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (92% daily value), Calcium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique